Skip to main content
Home / News / Car insurance for learner drivers

Car insurance for learner drivers

Learning to drive is the tipping point between relying on public transport or parents and friends to get around to discovering greater independence.

But before you buckle in and hit the road, you’ll need to make sure you have the right kind of cover to suit your situation – just in case the unexpected happens. Here’s the basics on what you need to know about insurance for learner drivers.

Get covered with the right car insurance

Learning to drive is an exciting milestone. So, if it’s your first time behind the wheel or you’re guiding a learner driver, we think you’ll want to make sure you’re protected on the road with car insurance. But your choice of cover will likely depend on your situation, like if you’re learning to drive using your parent’s car or have bought your own new set of wheels to learn in. Whatever the situation is, here are some of the main types of car insurance and what cover is offered:

Comprehensive Car Insurance : This cover can protect your car from the unexpected and comes with optional extras to help suit your needs This policy can cover the cost of repairs for damage caused by both parties in an incident, natural events like flood and fire, and unexpected circumstances such as theft* .

Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance: If you’re looking for basic cover while you’re out on the road, this policy provides cover for the unexpected. Even if your budget is tight or your car’s not worth much financially, if you cause an accident or an uninsured driver runs into you, cover for this damage is something that you might want to consider. Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance offers cover for the cost of repairs for damages caused by you to another driver’s vehicle. It also provides protection from uninsured drivers, with cover up to $5,000 (inclusive of GST) of repairs to your vehicle if your car is damaged by an uninsured vehicle and the accident is not your fault.

Third Party Fire and Theft Car Insurance : You can still get protection for when you’re out on the road, plus cover in case your car gets stolen or damaged by fire or attempted theft. In addition to theft or fire, if your car’s damaged by an uninsured vehicle and it’s not your fault, it offers cover up to $5,000 (inclusive of GST) of repairs to your vehicle.

For all types of car insurance conditions, limitations and exclusions apply.

Listing a learner driver to your car insurance policy

Learner drivers are usually covered under the types of policies listed above without the need to be listed on the policy, however they must be accompanied by a fully licenced driver aged 25 years or more. This includes a Nominated Driver Motor Vehicle Insurance Policy where  your premium will be calculated on the basis that your car will be driven by no more than two nominated drivers who are 25 years of age or over.

If however, you or your young learner driver purchases a new or used car for them to learn in, we suggest getting a quote and choosing a car insurance policy that’s right for your needs.

So, whether you’re a learner driver cruising the streets in a new set of wheels accompanied by a fully licenced driver aged 25 years or more, or you’re a parent teaching your young learner driver the ins and outs of road safety in your old family car, you can get a quote for cover in a few simple steps.

Before you decide which cover is right for you, it’s worth checking the policy documents to get an idea of what is and isn’t covered. For more details, view AANT’s Motor Vehicle Insurance Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

*Conditions, limitations and exclusions apply

Important information

This insurance product is distributed by Automobile Association of Northern Territory Inc ABN 13 431 478 529, an authorised representative of the issuer Insurance Australia Limited ABN 11 000 016 722 trading as CGU Insurance. Any advice provided is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (“your personal circumstances”). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product, you should consider your personal circumstances and the relevant the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determinations from