Skip to main content

What is an IDP? 

If you're planning on driving or hiring a car during your next overseas trip, it's a good idea to get an International Driving Permit (IDP). An IDP is a translation of your Australian drivers licence in nine languages. Its proof that you hold a current domestic driver's licence and it is only valid if you carry your domestic drivers licence with your permit.

The Australian Automobile Association (AAA) is the only authorised body to sell International Driver's Permits (IDP) in Australia. AANT is an authorised sales agent of the AAA.

How to get an IDP? 

Getting an IDP is an easy and straightforward process. Complete the online application, and you’ll typically receive your IDP by post within 5 to 8 business days to be processed and delivered within Australia.

Man riding a motorbike in Asia

If you need an IDP in a hurry, drop in to AANT in the Smith Street Mall.

What you will need for your application?

Recent photo of yourself with a plain white background and your Australian driver’s licence

How much does an IDP Cost? 

An IDP costs $49. This does not include postage.  

Get an IDP

Travelling overseas?

Don't forget Travel insurance 

Get a quote


Do I need an International Driving Permit? 

Click here to check your destination if you're unsure whether the country you're travelling to requires an IDP. 

Driving in Sri Lanka

If you are travelling to Sri Lanka with an IDP, you must obtain a recognition permit from the Automobile Association of Ceylon (AAC) in order to drive/ride in Sri Lanka with your foreign licence and IDP. This document is mandatory for both hiring and driving vehicles in Sri Lanka.     

In the case of an accident, your insurance claim may be rejected in the absence of the recognition permit.     

The cost of the recognition permit is AU$35 (subject to change).

Driving in Vietnam

An Australian IDP is not recognised in Vietnam. According to the Ministry of Transport of Vietnam, Vietnam accepts IDPs issued by countries who are members of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic 1968, of which Australia is not a member. Australia is under the 1949 Convention.

You are required to have a valid Vietnamese driver's licence to drive in Vietnam for all vehicles, including motorcycles of 50cc or more. Non-Vietnamese citizens are only permitted to drive in Vietnam if they hold a temporary Vietnamese drivers licence. Fines for driving without a valid driver’s licence vary.

For a temporary Vietnamese driver's licence, the applicant must hold a valid Vietnamese residence permit of at least three (3) months validity.

In Hanoi, applications for temporary driver's licences should be directed to the Hanoi Urban Transport Management and Operation Centre.

Hanoi Urban Transport Management and Operation Centre     
16 Cao Ba Quat Street, Ho Chi Minh City     
T: (04) 3747 0029,      
F: (04) 3747 0024


Important information

Your IDP is valid for 12 months from the date of issue unless the holder's domestic driving licence expires or is revoked in the meantime. IDPs cannot be post-dated under any circumstances.     
It is not a stand-alone document or substitute for a valid driving licence - it must be carried with your current domestic driving licence at all times. 

The Australian Automobile Association (AAA) is the only authorised body to sell International Driving Permits (IDP) in Australia. AANT is an authorised sales agent of the AAA.      

Digital drivers licences are only valid in your state or territory and will not be accepted when travelling overseas. You will need to take a physical copy (plastic photo card) of your drivers licence together with your IDP.     
It in no way diminishes the obligation of the holder to conform strictly to the laws and regulations of the countries you visit.     

An International Driving Permit can only be issued to people over 18 years of age with a valid Australian licence (includes P-plate).  It cannot be issued to learner driver permit holders.  Your IDP carries your identification details in nine languages (English, Spanish, Japanese, Greek, German, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, French) in case you need to communicate with foreign authorities.