Skip to main content
Home / News / Which car insurance is right for you?

Which car insurance is right for you?

Choosing the Right Car Insurance: Comprehensive vs. Third Party Options

Let’s face it, choosing car insurance can be complex, so having all the facts before you make a decision is important. 

The insurance policy you choose might depend on a range of factors, including the protection you want, how much your car is worth and whether you’re travelling long distances. Understanding the difference between comprehensive and third party insurance will help you avoid unexpected costs and provide you with added peace of mind.

Firstly,  it is a legal requirement of car registration in Australia to have Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance. CTP insurance provides personal injury cover should you cause a motor vehicle accident resulting in the injury or death of others.  However, CTP doesn’t cover the cost of damage to anyone’s vehicle or property. If you’re looking for further cover, there are numerous insurance options available.

Consider the following:


Comprehensive insurance is generally the highest level of cover. It usually includes accidental damage, fire and theft, and damage to other people’s cars and property. The cover extends to anyone driving the vehicle. When purchasing comprehensive insurance, you can choose to  insure your car for market value or agreed value. The market value is what we calculate it's worth at the time of the incident. Choosing an agreed value means you elect the value of the car during each policy period.  

Third Party Property Damage

If you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option, Third Party Property Damage is worth considering. With this type of policy you will generally be covered in case you cause damage to other people’s cars or property. However, it is important to understand that Third Party Property Damage does not usually extend to covering the costs of repairing or replacing your own vehicle.

Third Party Fire and Theft

For those seeking a middle ground between basic coverage and comprehensive protection, Third Party Fire and Theft  can be a great solution. This option generally provides all the benefits of Third Party coverage, meaning it covers damage to others people’s cars and property caused by you and provides additional cover if your car is stolen or damaged by fire. Keep in mind it doesn’t extend to covering the costs of repairing or replacing your own vehicle for loss or damage caused by other incidents. 

For information about car insurance from AANT, speak to a consultant on 8925 5901 or get an online quote.

Important information

*Underwriting criteria, policy terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Please see the PDS for full details.

This insurance product is distributed by Automobile Association of Northern Territory Inc ABN 13 431 478 529, an authorised representative of the issuer Insurance Australia Limited ABN 11 000 016 722 trading as CGU Insurance. Any advice provided is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (“your personal circumstances”). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product, you should consider your personal circumstances and the relevant the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determinations from