Skip to main content
Home / News / Shedding the light on the right home insurance for you

Shedding the light on the right home insurance for you

Let’s face it, owning a home is expensive. However, it’s also very rewarding and it’s a dream that most Aussies strive for.

So once you’ve got a home, we think you’ll want to protect  your biggest and most precious asset in case something goes wrong, in case the unexpected happens, or in case your home is damaged or destroyed.
Trying to sort out the type of cover you need for your home can be confusing, so we’re here to help you figure out how much cover you need, and what type of cover that might be.

What is home insurance?
Home insurance  will help protect you financially   should something happen to your home. For example, if severe weather hits and you’re affected by lightening, flooding, fire, or strong winds, then your home insurance policy can step in to help you repair damage or even rebuild your home. Likewise, if you’re a victim of crime and thieves target your home, home insurance can help you to replace certain  goods   that have been taken as well as help pay for repairs like smashed windows or change of locks. This is why it’s important to understand how much cover you will need to help you get back on your feet quickly and live to the same standards you did before the claim.  Your home insurance policy can cover he structure itself, the contents of your home, and also the exterior fitting such as garages, sheds, pools, and fences.

How much home insurance do you really need?
In order to determine the levels of cover to suit your needs, you will need to consider how much it may cost you to rebuild your home in the case of the worst-case scenario of a total loss. Think about how much your home is valued at, what you keep inside it, and anything you have built or keep on your property. You will then need to consider any events that might occur in your area and ensure your policy covers these. For example if you live in area susceptible to fires, ensure your policy covers this, likewise if you live in a low lying area or close to a river or lake that can flood.

If you are unsure how to calculate the replacement and rebuild values, you can talk to your insurer for guidance or utilise online calculators to help you estimate the figure. Don’t forget to factor in any recent renovations which can add value to your home,to ensure you have adequate insurance coverage.

Underinsurance pitfalls
If the cost of rebuilding is more than the amount you are covered for, then you are considered to be underinsured. The Insurance Council of Australia has reported that more than 40% of Australian households fail to correctly assess the value of their home and contents. Meaning you would need to come up with the gap sum yourself if you fail to insure your home for its true rebuild value. Hence, it’s importantthat you keep your policies up to date with any changes to your home, and any new additions to your contents.

Beating underinsurance
You can avoid underinsurance by taking into account the costs of demolition, removal of debris, and construction in your total valuation. Also consider any land features such as slopes or access difficulties which may cost more to get to by trades people. Ensure to update your cover if you add to your home, or if you buy new valuable items.

And finally, ensure you are familiar with your policy. Read your policy and make sure you understand it. If you’re not sure if you’re covered for a particular situation, clear it up with you insurer before you need to make a claim. And once insured, don’t simply leave it be. Review your policy regularly to make sure you’re adequately covered for any changes, taking into account building fee rises, or if you’ve added a pool, heating or cooling, and even new flooring. Speak to your home and contents insurance provider about any policy limits or exclusions that may apply. For more information regarding home and contents insurance, contact AANT on 8925 5901 today or click here for an online quote. 

Important Information
This insurance product is distributed by Automobile Association of Northern Territory Inc ABN 13 431 478 529, an authorised representative of the issuer Insurance Australia Limited ABN 11 000 016 722 trading as CGU Insurance. Any advice provided is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (“your personal circumstances”). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product, you should consider your personal circumstances and the relevant the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determinations from