Skip to main content
Home / News / Comprehensive vs third party.

Comprehensive vs third party.

Happy family in car

Which car insurance is right for you?

Let’s face it, choosing car insurance can be complex, so having all the facts before you make a decision is important. 

The insurance policy you choose might depend on a range of factors, including the protection you want, how much your car is worth and whether you’re travelling long distances. Understanding the difference between comprehensive and third party insurance will help you avoid unexpected costs and provide you with peace of mind.

Firstly, all car owners are legally required to have Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance. CTP insurance provides personal injury cover should you cause a motor vehicle accident resulting in the injury or death of others. If your car is registered – which it should be – you’ll already have CTP. However, CTP doesn’t cover the cost of damage to anyone’s vehicle or property. If you’re looking for further cover, there are numerous insurance options available.

Take your pick from the following.

  1. Comprehensive

    Comprehensive insurance is the highest level of cover. It includes accidental damage, fire and theft, and damage to other people’s cars and property. The cover extends to anyone driving the vehicle. When purchasing comprehensive insurance, you can choose to receive the market value or agreed value of your car if it’s written off. The market value is what we calculate it’s worth at the time of the crash. Choosing an agreed value means you’ll have a higher premium but you’re guaranteed to receive the fixed amount if your car is written off.

  2. Comprehensive – nominated driver

    Comprehensive nominated driver offers all the benefits of standard comprehensive cover, but for two named drivers only. The drivers must be at least 30 years old. This can help reduce the cost of your cover.

  3. Third party only

    Third party only will cover damage to other people’s cars and property, but not your own vehicle.

  4. Third party fire and theft

    Third party fire and theft offers all the benefits of third party only, with additional cover if your car is stolen or damaged by fire. It doesn’t cover any other damage to your car.

For information about car insurance from AANT, speak to a consultant on 8925 5901 or check out our policies.

Territory Lifestyle

We are committed to making the most of your Territory lifestyle